Friday 29 April 2011

Simple Present Tense


Superman is really good with Simple Present Tense. So should you :)


When do you use the simple present tense?


There are two types of simple present tense:

1) Present Simple
Use the present simple form of a verb when:

i) The action takes place now.
- e.g.: I want you to help me now

ii)  The action is something that happens regularly.
 - e.g.: I walk the dog everyday.

 iii) You are describing things that are generally true/facts.
  - e.g.: Train travel is expensive.




NOTE! When it is 'he', 'she' or 'it' doing the action, remember to add 's', 'es,' or change the 'y' to 'ies'.

e.g.:

1) I like football, we like football, he likes football.

2) I always try hard, we always try hard, she always tries hard.

3) I watch a lot of films, we watch a lot of films, he watches a lot of films.

4) I seem OK, we seem OK, it seems OK.



2) Continuous Present
Use the present continuous form of a verb when:

i) The action is not a single action, it is an action that carries on. It is good describing what people are doing at a particular moment.
- e.g.: I am kicking the ball.
- e.g.: He is walking the dog.

The present continuous is made by having am, is, or are + the verb + 'ing'.

I
am
working hard
You
We
They

are

working hard
He
She
It

is

working hard


NOTE! Sometimes you can use the present continuous to talk about the future.
e.g: I am going on holiday on Friday.

*This will be explained in the next entry.




In order to test your understanding on this topic, you are encouraged to take this quiz by clicking here.


Have fun doing the quiz!



Love,


Grammar Goddess.